Built in 1852, this historic lighthouse on Little St. George Island was damaged severely during Hurricane Opal in 1995. It is located on the cape. You can contribute to the Save the Light fund to assist with repairing the damage. Contact Resort Vacation Properties for more information.
East end of St. George Island via East Gulf Beach Drive (County Road 300). Nine miles of sandy shore plus fishing, camping, picnicking, hiking,and nature study. (850) 927-2111.
Cape St. George Reserve
St. George Island was divided into two parts by the Army Corps of Engineers when creating the Bob Sikes Channel in the mid 1950’s. The island is accessible only by boat. Known also as Little St. George, it is managed by Florida’s Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Recreation and Parks in cooperation with the Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission. Open for hiking, primitive camping, nature study, swimming and fishing. (850) 927-2111.
This is where the Reserve conducts research, education, administration, and coastal training programs. The Nature Center welcomes the general public to visit Tuesdays - Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and enjoy a variety of educational, interactive and live exhibits.
The Apalachicola Maritime Museum was founded to celebrate and preserve the rich maritime history of Apalachicola in a hands-on learning environment, with active sailing and adventure programs, boat building and restoration, and educational programs. The Museum offers a variety of educational and recreational boat tours including historical tours, eco-tours, kayak trips, sunset cruises, sailing programs, and excursions to pristine barrier islands. 850-653-2500
Built in 1838 by Thomas Orman, this antebellum home overlooks the Apalachicola River and was used for both business and social gatherings. Orman was a cotton merchant and businessman in Apalachicola from 1834 to the 1880s. He helped the tiny town become one of the Gulf Coast’s most important cotton exporting ports by the mid-19th century. The house features details of both Federal and Greek revival styles with wooden mantelpieces, molded plaster cornices and wide heart-pine floorboards.
Chapman Botanical garden is a quiet escape that is waiting and ready for your enjoyment. Meander through the gardens and allow yourself to experience the natural beauty of nature. The gardens are truly one of Apalachicola’s hidden gems and you won’t regret a visit to this incredible place.
Veterans Memorial Plaza
The highlight of the plaza is the bronze replica statue, known as the Three Soldiers, Detail. The memorial was designed by the late Frederick Hart, a renowned American sculptor, as a tribute to Vietnam veterans. The original stands on the National Mall in Washington DC’s Constitution Gardens. Apalachicola is the only city in the US, other than Washington DC, to feature a partial replica of the bronze sculpture. The sculpture depicts a realistic image of Vietnam servicemen from various ethnic backgrounds and is a symbol of their courage and devotion to their country. The statue is a culmination of a seven year, million dollar effort.
Fort Coombs Armory
John Gorrie Museum
The John Gorrie State Museum commemorates the man who was a pioneer in developing air conditioning, receiving the first U.S. Patent for mechanical refrigeration in 1851.
Dwarf Cypress Boardwalk
This boardwalk is here to document one of the stranger natural wonders of North Florida, a stand of dwarf bald cypress centuries old and less than 15 feet tall. An observation tower gives you an eagle’s-eye view of the cypress swamp.
Crooked River Lighthouse
The Crooked River Light, also known as the Carrabelle Light, was built in 1895 to replace the Dog Island Light on Dog Island, which had been destroyed in 1875 by a hurricane. The location on the mainland allowed the light to serve as the rear range light for the channel to the west of Dog Island, used by ships in the lumber trade.
World's Smallest Police Station
In the early 1960's, Carrabelle's police phone was bolted to s building at the corner of Highway 98 and Tallahassee Street. In 1963 the booth was moved to its current location on US Highway 98.
Carrabelle Bottle House
The house is small, but full-sized. Its walls are 12 feet long and 8 feet high, with a roof that peaks at 14 feet tall. Antique bottles found on the property are displayed along the tops of the walls. Wide mouth jars spaced out horizontally along the walls can be used for storing or holding items. Inserts of German handmade stained glass and colorful round lenses from school buses and fire trucks are used for added light and color. Mannequin hands, ostrich eggs, antique hay rake tines, copper pipes and wooden balls can be found decorating the outside of the house.